Several months ago I had an urge to make a drawstring bag, so I whipped one up from scraps. I recently started using it as a knitting project bag, and quickly realized that I was in need of a zipper pocket to hold extra circular needles, stitch markers, my scissors, and other sundry stuff — like my phone and my keys.
So the bag has to morph!
I whipped up another one, but added the zipper pocket on one side.
It’s made from fabrics left over from my turquoise Algorithm quilt that I completed in December. You can see it here.
Here’s the first one I made with fabrics left over from the first red and yellow Algorithm quilts I made. See the quilt here.
It’s basically a pattern I made up after seeing several pouches I liked, incorporating features from several bags and made in a size that’s good for the types of projects I make. I finally wrote down all the measurements for the bag pieces, so the next one should be a little quicker. I have several friends who want one.
I pieced the wonky log cabin panel on a piece of muslin, which holds it all together nicely.
The pocket I added on the front is roomy and will be really practical.
It’s a great bag for a smaller project like a hat or socks. It has a nice deep gusset and is quite roomy. The drawstring makes it so the mouth opens wide so it’s easy to get things in and out.
I’m thinking of writing up a tutorial for this pouch, similar to my Zipper Pouch Tutorial, seen here. Leave a comment if you’re interested in a tutorial for this.