I decided to omit the blue jumble from this quilt and I think it was an excellent decision. I replaced all the pieces with a mix of other fabrics that already appear in the top. It all feels cohesive now and those Jumble blocks aren’t screaming at me.
I started sewing the blocks together tonight and completed two complete rows. I’m going to continue to finish the rows as the blocks are made so when I’m done, I’m done!
As of now, one-third of this quilt is done.
Here’s a view of it before I started sewing the blocks together. This was taken in daylight so the colors are different. The whole thing seems flat to me.
I really hope I can get a good photo of this when it’s done.
A friend of mine is getting her fabrics together to make her own version of this quilt and she asked me tonight if the blocks were coming out the size they’re supposed to be. Here’s one on my cutting table and it’s almost a perfect 12.5×12.5 block, which is what it’s supposed to be. This has not been squared up.
I’m really noticing that my accuracy in piecing has really improved over the last few months. It’s really nice to have nice square and accurate blocks as they go together so beautifully. Granted, these are not technical and difficult blocks to make. Improved piecing technique might be one of the benefits of this pandemic.
My friend has selected some of the same fabrics as in my quilt, but she’s using more fabrics than I am. It will be really interesting to see how different our quilts look when they’re done.
Here’s a photo of my beautiful blocks when they’re sewn together. They’re so pretty!