I woke up this morning to about an inch of snow. This is a HUGE deal in Portland, OR.
People have been freaking out about this storm for days. Often times, anticipated storms turn out to be nothing, sort of like this one. Other times, they turn out to be something quite substantial. Portland is just not set up to deal with snow. They don’t have the infrastructure to clear roads, so we are at the mercy of the weather to melt snow so we can all get back to normal. They don’t even plow the freeways!
We took a three mile walk after a late breakfast and the weather was gorgeous! Although it was cold and we really had to bundle up.
After our walk I decided to dig in and finish the seven night sky tree ornaments that I started last week.
I knew that if I didn’t get them done now, I’d never get them done. So now they’re in a bag in my sewing room closet with all the other ornaments I made this year that didn’t get given away.
I hope I can find them next year.
After I got those done I hit the kitchen to make broth out of the turkey carcass that I brought home with me after Christmas dinner yesterday. I have several friends who will make sure that I don’t leave after dinner without the bird’s remains. I just love turkey soup and it breaks my heart when people just toss their carcass in the garbage.
And my friend who sent this one home with me left a ton of meat on the bones, so I had enough for the soup and I have a large bag to enjoy in sandwiches this week.
After I got my stock simmering I decided to make a test quilt label that I can put through the washing machine to see how well the printing holds up. I attached it to an old quilt sandwich that I use when setting up my machine for FMQ.
This is the label right after I fused it and zig zagged it to the quilt sandwich.
This next photo is the label after being put through the washing machine with some clothes.
It looks exactly the same to me, which is really great news! I’ll keep putting this back in the washing machine again and again to see how long this will last. But I’m thinking I have a new method for making quilt labels! And it’s so easy!
However… I probably will use a little bolder font in the future as the thinner one gets lost.
I decided the boys and I needed to take a lovely night time walk in the snow so we headed out around 7 pm. It was so pretty. There was just a thin layer of snow on the roads and a gentle snow was falling. It’s cold out, but not something you can’t dress for.
Rico and Bender didn’t seem to mind! They do love their walks.
When we got home I had a nice bowl of homemade turkey soup. It was so good and I just LOVE any kind of home made soup. I have enough in the fridge for a few lunches and put four big containers in my freezer. I LOVE having a freezer full of home made soup. I pretty much live on it during the winter. Right now I have the turkey soup, some split pea soup, pinto beans and ham, chili, chicken tortilla soup, and some beef stew in my freezer. Yum!
After dinner I felt like I wanted to do a little sewing so I sat down and made four of the geese units for my Ruffled Feathers Quilt. These will be blocks number 8 and 9 when the outer fabrics are sewn on. I need 20 blocks for the top. The blocks are BIG!
Here’s the first seven blocks of this quilt top.
I received a gift package from my friend who introduced me to Kaffe Fassett Collective fabrics the other day. She’s the friend gave the Arboretum quilt kit to. And she bought me a beautiful piece of Kaffe’s paisley jungle in tangerine to use on the back of my Arboretum quilt.
OMG! I just love that fabric!!! It’s one of my all time favorite Kaffe designs and color ways!
She also sent me a really pretty bird seed bag!
That’s going to make a really fun tote bag! And it’s not as huge as the farm stock feed bags.
I have a few more Frankenbags to share tonight! Some people have been very busy getting ready for holiday gift giving!
This first one is from my friend Eliza Claire. She’s done a simple stripe design out of Kaffe’s mosaic circles and some Tula Pink fabrics. And then she went bold with the lining using Philip Jacob’s geodes in yellow! Pow!!!
She also made this bag for a friend using a patchwork goat on the front. She said it was a lot of work to make that block. But it’s really cute! She used a really bold orange lining and made the handles out of a really yummy blue cork!
These next bags were made by someone who asked that I not use her name. She’s probably in the witness protection program. They were made all from previous project leftover pieces. I just love those rich and earthy batiks. And that bold horizontal stripe on the second one is a really nice idea.
These next bags were made by Maddie Pepe. She’s been busy! I just love the colors in the first one, and the black and white fabrics with this are soooo good. That stripe is so fantastic! Ooh. That wonky block on the second one is from a pattern I just bought last week. I’ve seen a quilt made on that pattern on Pinterest for several years and finally learned the name of it. That may be in my future soon! And the last one is so good the way it lets those huge prints sing! that single bloom in the last photos is so spectacular! Nice work Maddie!
Back to work tomorrow for a very hectic week. Here’s hoping it’s a successful one!