I had a sheep herding webinar today at noon, so I got up and took Bender and Rico for a nice walk after breakfast. When we got home I took my computer into my sewing room, logged onto the webinar, and got to work on my drab Aboriginal fabric bag. All I had to do was sew the lining together and sew it into the bag.
I swore I was going to finish this bag during that webinar!
It looks a little better photographed outdoors in natural light. But it’s still a little muddy. It really needs some contrast. Too bad it’s too late. Here’s the other side of the bag. Almost exactly like the other side. See if you can spot the difference…
I did do something a little different with this one: I sewed my tag on with the machine, rather than by hand. And it’s so much nicer… it looks more professional and has a better finish. AND, it was really quick and easy. And I didn’t have to thread a needle!
Here’s some detail photos for your entertainment.
There is one thing about this bag that I really like. This is the first bag I’ve made with the non fusible fleece that I purchased by mistake. If you remember, I used some fusible webbing to fuse the fleece to the bag panels and to fuse the quilt sandwich backing to the fleece. Well, all that fusing made the bag more structured. It’s a bit stiffer and I really like that. So that purchase mistake has turned out to be a good thing.
After dinner I headed for my sewing room to play with the curved pieced blocks that I showed in my blog last night. So I dug into some ugly scraps and cut four 9.5 inch squares. I stacked them up and started cutting some wonky arcs. I ended up with five pieces.
Here’s what I ended up with.
Each of those arcs has four different fabrics stacked up.
Once I had these pieces cut, I started sewing.
The first block went seriously wrong!!!
See that arc that my scissors are pointing to? Well, I sewed that one in backwards. The thicker end of the arc should be on the right side. No idea how that happened. But that little mistake made a crazy assed block!
Here’s the second one I made. It’s squared up at 7.5 inches. Aside from being butt ugly, it appears to have worked.
That turquoise arc is a really odd shape. I can fix that with the next set I cut. But I’m feeling pretty good that I essentially figured this out. And I’m wondering what other things I could do with this.
And, hey, aren’t those fabrics hideous??? Egad! I’m almost embarrassed to put this one into the land fill. Maybe I should just go ahead and burn it.
So feeling a bit of a sense of confidence I grabbed five of the blue and orange fabrics that I showed last night and cut a 10.5 inch square from each one.
Then I stacked them up and used a dinner plate as a ruler to cut my arcs.
I really like how these shapes turned out, with the exception of that blue one next to the orange corner on the right. Here’s the block all sewn together and squared up to 8 1/4 inches.
I really like how it turned out. but I am bothered by that odd blue arc. I think it will be ok sewn into a bag. Keep in mind, I have four more sets of these arcs to sew… so enough for a couple more bags.
I’m thinking I might take some time and draw out a template for the arcs and then make freezer paper templates to get the arcs cut the way I want. I’m not going to play with that immediately, but when I want to make more of these blocks, I’ll definitely give that a try.
A friend of mine who lives in Salt Lake City texted me this evening and asked if I was really getting snow. I had no idea we were SUPPOSED to be getting snow. But look at this…
It looks like we might actually get some accumulation over night. I just poked my head outside (12:15 am) and it’s still just raining. But it’s a good, solid rain that will give everything a really good watering.
Bender would like to say “hi.”