I decided to cut out the pieces for another bucket hat tonight. One of the pieces of fabric I was using was just a quarter of a yard.
So, what did I do? I cut the interfacing piece from the main fabric. The interfacing pieces are smaller than the main hat pieces.
And that means that I don’t have enough fabric to cut the crown pieces from the right pattern.
I’ve asked a friend if she has some of this fabric, and I’ve found it on two different websites. So I’m not totally stuck.
It was after 11 pm when I was cutting these pieces. I had a feeling I might be making a mistake, but I kept on going until BAM! Looks like I’ll need to cut out another hat tomorrow so I have something work on.
I was going to make the lining form my crumb quilt tonight but I just couldn’t face wrestling with all those big pieces of fabric. So I made the VERY wise decision to put that aside for when I’m fresher.
As I walked the boys tonight I was on a phone call with a friend. We got to talking about our fabric stashes and I was reciting to her all the larger pieces of KFC fabric I have that were purchased with backings in mind. I have a few.
That’s fifteen large pieces of fabric that are enough for a backing. Nine of them are actually meant for a specific quilt that’s either done or in process.
The red piece on the top will back this quilt that is nearly ready to sew together.
That ochre and purple fabric will be the back for this quilt in process for my guest bedroom.
The tangerine Paisly Jungle will be the backing for my Aboretum quilt that I’ll make from a kit.
The Octopus fabric will back my Ice Storm trip quilt. I LOVE this backing with this quilt top!
I think I might try to get this quilt backing put together this weekend. I don’t have plans to have it quilted immediately.
The green Antwerp Flowers will back this Lucky Stars quilt eventually.
This gorgeous red spiral shells fabric was initially planned for this chaotic black quilt. But the quilt isn’t worthy of that gorgeous fabric. So not sure what I’ll back this quilt with or what I’ll use that gorgeous shells for…
… but it won’t be for this chaotic mess!
And finally, this wonderful blue backing fabric will be used for this quilt.
This quilt was made from fabrics left over from this quilt. (I really wish that quilt would photograph better. It’s so much prettier in person than it is in photos!)
I was so tired of dealing with bias edges by the time I go this done, I may never do another quilt that involves bias edges.
Before I wrapped up the evening in my sewing room I sewed the elastic into the back of this huge bucket hat. And it refused to gather.
I think this happened because of the thickness of the hat around the brim and the fact that I used the wrong elastic… the only elastic I had… some lingerie elastic. It’s just not substantial enough to pull the layers of the hat together. So I had to rip it out.
I’ll pick up some better elastic this weekend.
It was a lovely day today although cloudy. After our afternoon walk I could hear an odd noise as I worked. And I realized it was Bender snoring like a buzz saw!
With the increase in his epilepsy meds, he sometimes sleeps like the dead! But the good news is that he’ll be 12 weeks seizure-free on Saturday. He’s still a little bit dopey from his meds, but he’s a little better every day. It’s so nice to be on another stretch of time without a seizure.
One more day of work and then a long weekend!