For a short work week, this week sure seems long! I can’t believe it’s only Wednesday night.
I met a friend last night at a pickleball open play time. We played for nearly two hours and it was so much fun! I’m loving it because it feeds my competitive spirit and I just love learning something new… learning the rules, how to make different shots, and learning the strategy. And I’m loving the physical activity! I think I’ll be playing for years to come!
We’ve had a couple days up in the 70s and it’s been really nice. Another day or two of nice weather and the sun will be leaving for a few days. Rain arriving just in time for the weekend. It was so gorgeous after our walk tonight. I just sat on the patio for a while enjoying a cool breeze.
After I had a few minutes of quiet I hit my sewing room to whack away at another bucket hat. I wanted to try a few things that some blog readers suggested for making the construction a little easier and to avoid tucks.
Here’s the finished product made from Philip Jacobs’ brassica and Kaffe’s millefiori in jade. I loved the small pieces of green in the brassica and thought the millefiori went really well with it.
Here’s a little Bender looking dapper.
Isn’t that brassica amazing!?!?!?
A little eye candy…
Now onto the construction: instead of using a lot of pins to connect the sides to the top of the hat pieces I used lots of clips.
Using clips on this part worked really well. I probably used more than I needed and may try fewer next time. So that’s a win.
I also sewed a line of stitching close to the raw edge of the two brim pieces once they were sewn together and top stitched. This held all those pieces together so they were easier to handle during the final construction. So this is another win.
I also used clips to sew the brim to the lining of the hat. And that worked really well too!
So I just had the final step left — sewing the right side of the hat top to the brim and hat lining. So I got it all lined up and used clips again to hold it all together.
And when I had the seam all done and looked at the back of what I had sewn, I had sewn a tuck into the lining of the hat… about three inches long. So it was time to pick it out.
I think the clips worked really well, I just did a terrible job of making sure the fabric on the under side was pulled flat. Lesson learned. I won’t do that again and I’m hopeful my next hat will be perfect and trouble free!
I have five or six more hats cut out. I hope I don’t lose enthusiasm for them before I get them all made.