It poured rain here all day long so instead of taking my mid day walk with the dogs I did a little sewing. And after our misty walk after dinner I did even more. I’ve completed 18 16-patch blocks: the nine in this photo and their mates. I’m having really good luck getting two blocks out of one strip set… with about an inch of strip set as waste.
I’m really happy with how these blocks are going together. I’m being really careful to make sure my strip sets are straight and my seam allowances are accurate. The blocks are all coming out almost exactly 8.5 inches square and I’ve avoided wonkiness. So they will eventually go together nicely.
Gah! That blue spot with the tangerine paisley jungle is so good!!
I’ve been using a metal ruler to make sure my strip sets are straight before I press them.
If there’s a bit of a curve in the strip set I can just manipulate it with my hands until the edge lines up with the ruler. then I gently press, making sure to not move the fabric. The I remove the ruler and give it a more thorough pressing.
Then I go through the same steps with the four strip set.
I learned this method of keeping strip sets straight from watching tutorials from Jordan Fabrics.
And the last thing I’m doing to keep my blocks accurate is pinning the rows before I sew them. And my points are looking pretty good!
OMG! These fabrics!!!
I’ll probably make a few more of these blocks this weekend, but I have a goal to get all the sashing on my improv batik quilt and get it off my design wall. I’d like to at least make some good headway on that.