Work has been crazy busy the last week as we had a fundraising drive running on our radio station. We wrapped that up last night and I feel like I can take a breath.
I haven’t done any sewing at all in the last week or so. Just too busy and too tired at night to focus. But I have been thinking about a new project that I’m getting pretty excited about.
Over the last year I’ve purchased a good number of low volume white/black fabrics and haven’t used any except for a couple of small projects.
They are really fun fabrics and I’ve just loved a lot of the quilts I’ve seen using them.
I’ve seen some really cool quilts recently that combine these low value fabrics and bright Kaffe Fassett Collective fabrics. The low volume fabrics tend to brighten and lighten up the KFC fabrics in a really cool way.
So I pulled out some of my low volume fabrics the other day and mixed them up with a selection of Philip Jacobs’ brassica color ways that I had sitting on the dresser in my sewing room.
I have to say, I really love this combo! I would add more fabric designs for variation, but I think this is a good start!
So once I saw these fabrics together, I started thinking about a design. I’m kind of riffing off of one that I saw online, but is more complicated than I want to make.
So after thinking about this for a few days, I sat down with some graph paper and drew out my idea. I’m thinking I’ll combine some big quarter square triangle blocks made from KFC fabrics with 16 patches made from KFC fabrics and low volume fabrics.
Here’s what I came up with. This first one is with the blocks set in straight rows.
And then I thought it might be more interesting if the blocks were set on point.
I might actually like it better set in straight rows, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to play with that once I have the blocks done. I do like the secondary stars and squares that appear when you put the blocks together.
I’ll use a good number of different fabrics in this to give it a really scrappy feel. No idea when I’ll start this. I already have a good number of quilts in progress! Just what I need… one more unfinished project!!!
The heat has finally gone away here in Portland and fall has definitely arrived. We’ve had some rainy days and some really gorgeous fall days. It’s really nice to have cooler weather. I actually had to turn my furnace on the other day.
And of course I took advantage of a cool day to torture my dogs a little.
I found this gorgeous bloom on my Rose of Sharon on the patio yesterday morning.
This plant was given to me by a friend earlier this summer. She said it probably wouldn’t bloom this year, but this is the second bloom so far and there’s another bud that should open in the next few days. It should be covered with blooms next year.
A friend of mine recently bought a property down in Canby, Oregon, and she’s got a newfound obsession with fancy chickens. This means she’s going to have a lot of chicken feed bags. These are sturdy plastic bags that have nylon thread running through the fabric for strength.
I’ve seen some really fun and simple tote bags made from these feed bags. So my friend gave me the one she had that was empty and my plan is to make a bag to develop a simple pattern. I’ll want to cut it to take advantage of the cute little chick picture, and I’ll have plenty of fabric left over to make handles and maybe an inside pocket. I won’t line these bags in the beginning since they will be utilitarian. But I may change the design over time.
I’m taking Friday off to recover from a crazy work week. I’m hoping to get the dogs out for a nice hike and will probably actually spend some time in my sewing room!