I finished up my Ice Storm left over Frankenbag tonight at about 11:30. I almost put it down before finishing, and then decided to push forward and sew the lining into the bag, do the top stitching at the top of the bag, and stitch down the zipper plackets. I even took a minute to sew on my tag.
I really like this bag. It couldn’t be further away from my normal color palette. A friend of mine said there’s something really soothing about it. And it’s probably true that most of the stuff I make is far from soothing! But I’m ok with that. It’s been fun to make something so different.
And at the rate I’m making bags, I am averaging about two per week. I doubt I’ll keep that up for long. But that is a leisurely pace for me. I don’t feel like I’m spending every spare minute in my sewing room obsessively producing.
Here’s the other side of the bag.
And the finishing touch I love.
The lining and pockets feel absolutely creamy to me. I love the lighter batiks I used there.
This probably won’t be a terribly practical bag with all those light fabrics. It’s not one you’d want to put on the floor of the bus!
I tried using some fusible webbing instead of pins to attach the zipper to the pocket opening while I sewed it all together. I like the way it held the zipper in place nicely and I didn’t get the puckering you get with pins. I only had the webbing in a big sheet. I’ve already ordered some of the kind that comes in a roll that you stick to your fabric and then peel the paper off.
And I’m happy that after doing about 8 of these zipper pockets, I’m getting better and better at them.
Look at that beautiful opening!
For me, the best way to learn is to do. And the more I do something, the better I get at it. I like that!
I love this view of the lining all in one flat piece. It’s somewhat complicated and the placket always feels so wrong, but it’s so right!
I’ve made quite a few changes to how I make these bags since I made the tutorial. I’m giving some thought to how to share those improvements. I don’t want to make another tutorial, but I like the idea of sharing how my design has morphed over time. I might just make one post with the changes, and then link to it from the original tutorial.
So what’s different:
- I now use a fusible interfacing on the lining. I like the way it adds body to the lining and makes the bag feel more substantial. I also think it will be more durable and the pockets won’t stress the fabric as much.
- I’ve increased the size of the slip pocket and I’ve made it into a divided pocket. I also use fusible interfacing on the slip pocket. Again, it’s more substantial and should be more durable.
- I’ve added the zipper pocket and would like to provide a link to the tutorial I used, as well as info on how I place the pocket on my lining.
- I’ve changed how I put the placket in place. Rather than measuring awkwardly to place it, I draw a line on the lining once it’s fused that will later be used to position the plackets. So much easier to do it this way! And the drawn line is hidden when you stitch the placket down at the very end.
I think that’s all the changes I’ve made. But I’ll give it some thought to be sure.
It was another cold day here in Portland on Wednesday, but we didn’t have the wind that we had yesterday. I don’t mind the cold when we have the sunshine. Here I am after our walk tonight. Bundled up like I was last night, but not nearly as cold on our walk.
You know it’s cold if I’m wearing a knit hat. I’ve made many, many, many knit hats over the years. But I tend to run warm and it’s rarely cold enough for me to be comfortable in a knit hat.
I got a call from Bender’s neurologist this afternoon. She wants me to give it a little more time before we increase Bender’s Potassium Bromide. So we will move forward and hope he doesn’t have another seizure. If he does have another one, she will likely increase his dosage. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he’s done with seizures for a good long time. But I’m guessing he’ll have another one in a week or two. Damn.