I mentioned the other night that I was thinking of making a knitting caddy for a friend of mine. I’ve looked at a few patterns and tutorials and struck out tonight to figure it out for myself because I find noodling out a pattern entertaining. My brain gets a kick out of figuring out how something is made.
I had some basic measurements for the size I wanted to make, so I hit my sewing room, grabbed some rulers, and started cyphering.
The really beautiful thing about my notes is that they are incredibly detailed and specific so when I want to make another one of these it will be so easy. NOT!
But truthfully, this was a pretty easy little thing to make.
My friend that I’ve made this for wanted it to be pink and green. So the first thing I did was dig out some blocks that a friend gave me and sorted out a few that were mostly pink and green. Then I cut those blocks into smaller pieces and reassembled them with some crumb piecing.
Here’s some of the crumbs in process.
Here’s the crumb pieces with the fabric used for the background and lining.
I made these crumb blocks into a little strip that was sewn into the front and back panels, trimmed out the gussets and quilted each piece. The panels measured 17 x 10 inches. I cut out 3 inch squares for the gussets. I quilted with vertical lines because I thought it would be easier to keep the shorter lines straight. I like the look of this too.
I used fusible fleece on the panels but didn’t use a backing fabric on the quilt sandwich. I figured this didn’t need that extra structure and stability.
I made the handles out of the same background fabric and used some fusible fleece to give them some body. Since it’s not in my very detailed notes, I’m noting here that the handles are 13 inches long. If I was to make another one of these, I might just use some fusible interfacing in the handles. These are a little hefty for this caddy.
Then I assembled the lining, including some medium weight fusible interfacing, and sewed the whole thing together and ran a line of top stitching around the top of the caddy.
This measures about 10 inches wide, 6 inches deep and 6 inches tall.
The lining is simple… no pockets in this baby.
It’s the exact size I wanted it to be, but it feels bigger than I thought it would. And it holds a lot!
These photos don’t represent the true color of these fabrics. That’s one of the downsides of being a late night sewer… it’s really hard to get good photos of your project. I will take some photos tomorrow to get a better representation of the colors.
I have no idea if I’ll ever make another one of these. But I really like being able to figure out how to make something for a specific purpose. I’m thinking I should make a few fabric baskets of some kind to organize some of the piles of stuff in my sewing room. Might be a good idea to make some baskets to hold all the scraps I’m generating.