I took the day off from work today because I have two personal days I need to take before June 30 or I lose them. I am not one who likes to lose my days off!
I had a nice sleep in and then got up and had some breakfast and some good coffee and then got ready to go because one thing I wanted to accomplish today was to get the green and blue batik quilt for my nephew’s wedding shipped off.
I’ve had a little bit of sewing enthusiasm the last few days, so I wanted to take advantage of it. When I got home I sewed a couple of rows of the scrappy hexagon quilt together. It looks like I may be able to finish this quilt top this weekend! There are only four full rows in this quilt, and 6 partial rows.
It was pretty hot today, so after lunch I sewed the center seams on the outer fabric and lining for 20 face masks made from Kaffe Fassett Collective scraps. Then I sat down in the shade outside and clipped the seam allowances on the curves.
I use a non woven fusible interfacing in my masks. This particular interfacing was a little thicker so I’m using it with the thinner Kaffe fabrics. It was a little too stiff with batiks, but works well with this fabric. I was finally able to get my hands on ten yards of the Pellon medium weight non woven fusible online. I’ve been trying to get some for a couple months.
For the lining I’m using a white on white cotton that I’ve had in my stash for years. it’s a great way to use up fabric that I don’t love as much as when I bought it!
I sat with a small garbage can on my lap as I clipped. Looks like I missed the can a few times.
I was covered with this confetti by the time I finished clipping all 20 masks!
Since it was so hot today I waited until after dinner to take the dogs for a walk so we only got one walk today. My friend’s dog Argos is staying with us for a few days. It’s more work to walk three dogs!
After our walk I decided to cut a few more masks. I had found some Kaffe scraps the other night that would work well and had some batik pieces I was planning on using for masks. I now have about 50 masks cut out and in various stages of construction. I still have to cut the lining and interfacing for about 20 Kaffe masks, and have to cut the interfacing for 20 or so batik masks.
I had made about 30 masks a couple of weeks ago and am down to only three! I’ve given the rest away to friends, co-workers, and I shipped a few to family. I’d really like to always have some on hand when people I know need one. I think we’re going to be needing them for quite some time.