I was so disappointed to find last night that the Pods fabric that I wanted to use for the lining for my current project was not to be found anywhere, except for some terribly expensive pieces on Etsy. I was so sure I had just added this to an online shopping cart a couple weeks ago. But I was not able to find the store that had it.
So I had to change my plans. I looked at all the options for linings that I had pulled from my stash and nothing really spoke to me. And then I was looking in a bin of KFC fabrics in the closet in my sewing room and I saw Amaze in red and I pulled it out and slipped it inside the bag. And it worked!!!
It’s a pretty damned good choice! I love that it still has the pop of orange that works so well with the front of the bag, but it’s not insane. It a lovely vibrant pop without the chaos.
Here’s some photos just because I like looking at them!
And some more detail. And then tell me that the lining of a bag isn’t important! I mean… look at this!!!
As I was thinking about paper piecing last night I remembered a book I bought a few years ago that I’ve never made anything from.
I can’t find it for the life of me. I’ve looked everywhere. In the process I turned my sewing room upside down looking for it….And then I got sidetracked and started straightening up my messy work space.
I took a pile of fleece pieces and sewed them together into pieces large enough to use to make bags. I ended up with enough pieces to make four bags!
Then I folded, organized and put some fabrics away. I found a stack of black and white fabrics I bought recently, then pulled out a roughly folded stack of black and whites that were tucked in a drawer.
I folded them all more carefully and found some space for them in one of my drawers.
I also found this piece of KFC fabric that I was looking for a few months ago.
In a further quest for the illusive book I dug into a set of drawers in my closet and located a bunch of bags of fabric that I’ve set aside for upcoming projects.
Some of these have literally been sitting there, waiting and waiting for me to do something with them, for several years! Here’s what I was thinking…
This first bag is the newest of all of these. I basically built a KFC Parakeet pre-cut package from my stash.
I had originally planned to make a jewel box quilt with this but I made one out of ugly batiks and I’m not sure I want to make another one. Still thinking about ideas for this fabric. I might remove some yellows and add more pinks before I actually start cutting.
This next package has been sitting in a bag for years. It took me a few years to collect the purple and aqua batiks I had in my head… all with this specific pattern in mind. I even purchased backing fabric for it.
I saw this quilt made up in a store a few years ago and just loved it. It would be a relatively quick make.
This bright and beautiful collection of batiks was originally meant for my Lucky Stars quilt. But I ended up making that quilt entirely from batik scraps.
It’s a really pretty set of fabrics. I keep telling myself I should just break this all up and put it back in my stash. But I still think these fabrics would be fun in some kind of quilt top. I’ve thought about using them for a 16-patch, or a Moss garden type quilt. I’ll leave them all in this bag for a few more years while I think about it.
This next group of fabrics took me forever to put together. I drug these fabrics around from fabric store to fabric store for a year before I had all the pieces I wanted. I love the muted colors and the batik I bought for the background.
I had intended to make this into the Starburst Cross quilt pattern.
It’s a free pattern and I really love it. But I have an unfinished project that uses those same corner blocks and I lost my enthusiasm for sewing on all those little corners! Maybe I’ll find my enthusiasm again some day. In the mean time, this set of fabric will remain in its baggie.
The last set of fabrics I’ve squirreled away is a vibrant and exciting one! It’s all red KFC fabrics… with a lot of pops of color included!
I’ve wanted to make a quilt from these fabrics for some time, but I keep going back and forth on the pattern to use. The pattern above, called Bold Proposition, is a likely contender, but I haven’t landed on this one for sure. Hmmm. I just had an idea that I could use this pattern for the yellow fabrics in the Parakeet set. I kind of like that idea!
Sometimes my brain is a scary place to be.
This next set of fabrics is the most recent one I’ve squirreled away. I wrote about it in this post. The pattern I’m thinking of making is something I drew up. It combines 16 patches with corner fabrics.
Here’s the block I’m envisioning making. This will allow me to make a square block but it will look like the blocks are set on point. Win, win!
I also found this Arboretum quilt kit I bought last year. I bought this kit for a friend as well and she recently finished hers. Mine, of course, is still in the package.
I don’t typically buy kits, but I love this quilt and the kit includes precut rectangles of something like 96 unique fabrics. I’m happy to pay someone else to do all that pressing and cutting!
Here’s my friend’s finished quilt top. Isn’t it pretty!
All this and I still didn’t find that book. I wonder where the hell it is.